Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Me Making Noise!

.
Last week Shelley decided that it would be a good idea for me to create a promo for this blog to be run on both KPBX and KSFC. As I had never written copy to be read before and had no experience in advertising, this was quite the daunting task. My first draft turned out to be far too long and not catchy enough for radio. So, with much editing from Shelley, I returned to my desk and eventually came up with a few usable versions of the promo. I timed each one, reading it out loud at a reasonable pace, to make sure that it would fit within the specified time limit for the slots between musical pieces.

When Patrick had some free time, we headed to the recording room. I was very nervous and kept wringing my hands as I ran through the copy, occasionally adjusting words or inflection with suggestions from Patrick and Shelley. I discovered that "KSFC" is surprisingly difficult to pronounce clearly. And never again will I write "s" alliteration into my copy. After a few good recordings, though, Patrick said that he had enough to work with and returned to edit the fresh promo. I was directed to find an instrumental song to layer behind each recording.

With that instruction, the next day I was set loose in the music library. I might as well have been given the keys to Candyland. Walls upons walls, shelves of CDs and vinyl records met my amazed eyes. There was even an entire shelf dedicated to one of my favorite artists, Tito Puente, "El Rey de los Timbales." I spent the morning browsing through the library and playing wonderful music on a dusty boom box to my heart's content. Finally I returned to Patrick with a stack of CDs, my favorite tracks marked on bright yellow sticky notes.

At the moment, Patrick is meshing my voice recording with a few different songs to create a couple promos to play in between daily programming. Soon, I'll get to hear my own voice on the radio. I can hardly wait!



.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment