Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Hot off the Press

In quintessential KPBX Kids’ Concert style, Saturday’s tribute to Django Reinhardt featuring the Hot Club of Spokane had the Bing Theater aisles bustling with kids dancing to the Gypsy-Jazzy beat. It’s a hard task to keep kids attention let alone their parents for an hour concert performance, but the Hot Club did just that. With their catchy rhythm and interaction with the audience via sing along, the group kept the audience active. Guest guitarist, Steve Bauer of 6 Foot Swing had parents laughing feverishly when he mentioned his favorite performer’s eccentric spending habits. The kids got their good laugh when later in the performance he imitated Django’s bizarre playing style. The hour long concert culminated with Miss Lee Lee, a diva that would have had the 1920’s Parisian audiences roaring. I can honestly tell you I did not recognize the music of Django Reinhardt before the concert, but after hearing some of his tunes, I can now say that I have become a fan of Hot Club music. Before starting as an intern at Spokane Public Radio, I thought I was aware of a wide variety of music. After helping out with several KPBX Kids’ Concerts and the R&V Sale, I have realized that I have much to learn. It’s great that the children who attend the station’s concerts get to listen to alternative music at such a young age.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment