Friday, January 28, 2011

Voice Rejoice


Have you ever heard a recording of your own voice? If you’re anything like me, it’s reminiscent of sounding one octave lower than if you just breathed a balloon full of helium. Today, I got a chance to get in the studio and record my first promo for the station's blog. It took several days of brainstorming script ideas and searching for audio tracks to select just the right clips and finalize the promo. In the studio, it was a little nerve racking to put on the headphones and hear myself for the first time. Maybe it was the caffeinated beverage I had sitting next to me, but I couldn't refrain from speed-talking and sounding like I was a hostage forced to read a scripted plea. It wasn’t until I started enunciating all my lines, especially k-p-b-x (dot) org that it started to flow. Something about the letters “p” and “b” next to each other created issues with my tongue getting tangled. While it would have been great to do everything in one take, it was only a matter of time before practice made perfect…or so I thought. I didn't realize it, but in a span of 15 minutes we probably went through two dozen takes. Stretched thin for time, Patrick tried to make the best of it and we were able to get everything recorded that we needed for the first 15-second promo. My fears of sounding high pitched and nasally like Fran Drescher were dispelled. I have hopes for my future promos. Next time, maybe I can conjure up a deep Barry White voice. Tune in to KPBX or KSFC and maybe you can catch me in action.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment