Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Car Talk

.
Wow! I was wrong that gas prices would remain low during and after the recession. Washington now has the seventh highest gas price in the country, with a gallon of gas costing nearly $3.25 according to gasbuddy.com, and it’s only February! What is a driver to do to save at the pump?

With the economy recovering and car sales up, it seems that the manufacturers are gearing up to take advantage of drivers’ smaller pocketbooks. Just look at the Super Bowl, where there were over a dozen advertisements for a variety of new models: electric, diesel, hybrid, there is so many options to choose from these days to save energy and money.

I grew up listening to Car Talk with my dad on Saturdays and I still find Click and Clack’s advice helpful when I’m trying to find ways to save gas money since I drive a Jeep Wrangler, essentially a vehicle that is a brick on wheels. I am always looking for ways to improve my estimated 15 MPG (which it rarely is). Recently on their show, a caller asked a question about whether having a full or half filled tank is better for keeping gas costs down? After much debate and shared stories of how callers were able to beat the system and drive on fumes for hundreds of miles, it was determined that more gas equals more weight, thus causing worse mileage. So, I guess that means that even the pennies from my ashtray will get me where I’m going.

If you’re looking for something to listen to this weekend, my recommendation is to turn the dial and enjoy some ‘Car Talk.’ If you're a fan of the show leave a comment about your impressions.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment