Friday, October 15, 2010

Musical Musings


Today, I arrived at SPR earlier then normal to take pictures of Verne’s guest, Daniel Gaisford the cellist playing with the Gonzaga Orchestra this Saturday. Director Kevin Hekmatpanah also made an appearance, but had to leave quickly to teach a class. I grabbed the camera to take shots before he left, but before I could make it into the studio the on-air light flicked on. The red light above the door rattled my nerves. We have all had our phones ring at inappropriate times. I have visions of my embarrassing ringtone playing on the air when I’m taking shots of a guest. Instead of going into the studio, I waited patiently in the lobby and listened to the broadcast on the intercom until the next set of music played. Gaisford was talking to Verne about the amount of practice he does. “Now that I have the callouses I can practice six hours a day. That wasn’t true when I started, maybe a half an hour tops,” he told Verne. I played the saxophone growing up and getting me to practice even an hour (let alone six) was like giving a kid a shot from the doctor. The music started playing and I went into the studio and took the photos I needed and chatted with Gaisford. He was upbeat and was excited about his upcoming performance in Spokane. I know several members of the Orchestra, and had planned to attend, but Gaisford’s dedication sealed the deal. Monday, I will update “Making Noise” with my impressions of the performance. Check out the performance at the Fox at 7:30 pm on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment